Contact Landstar Recruiting.
Please take a moment to tell us about yourself and a Landstar Recruiter will contact you to discuss your current situation and career goals.
- Must be at least 23 years of age, possessing a Class A CDL with HazMat (H) or combination (X) endorsement.
- No more than two at-fault accidents and two motor vehicle violations within the previous 36 months, or no more than one at-fault accident and three motor vehicle violations during the previous 36 months.
- No involvement in a preventable DOT recordable accident in the past 12 months.
- Operators must have one year (six months for Expedited) of verifiable over-the-road driving (including snow and ice) within the past three years or three years verifiable experience in the last 10 years, of which six months must be within the previous 48 months, with a Class A (or Class B for Expedited) CDL using the type of equipment similar to what you will be operating at Landstar. No felony convictions within the past 7 years. All other felony and misdemeanor charges are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- No positive drug or alcohol test including refusals and pre-employment results.
- No suspensions of more than 30 days for moving violations in the last 36 months.
- No more than one serious violation as defined on Table 2 of section 383.51 of the FMCSR handbook within the previous 36 months prior to qualification.
- No railroad-highway grade crossing offenses as defined on Table 3 of section 383.51 of the FMCSR handbook within the previous 36 months prior to qualification.
- No citations or convictions for Reckless Driving or Careless Endangerment during the 36 month period prior to the order date of the MVR.
- No DUI charges during the 60 month period prior to the order date of the MVR in a personal or non-commercial vehicle and never in a commercial vehicle.
- Proficient enough in English to understand highway traffic signs and signals, respond to official inquiries, make entries on reports and records, and converse with the public.
To be approved with Landstar, you will also need to provide and maintain proper levels and types of approved insurance during your owner-operator lease with Landstar including:
Unladen Liability and Occupational Accident coverage or, in some cases, statutory Workers’ Compensation coverage are mandatory. If you do not participate in the Unladen Liability and/or CPP (Occupational Accident insurance) programs, you must show comparable Unladen Liability coverage and/or Occupational Accident coverage through acceptable insurance carriers.
If statutory Workers’ Compensation coverage is required and you do not participate in the fleet workers’ compensation plan (FWCP) program, coverage must be provided by licensed carriers with acceptable interstate coverage.
Note: These are minimum Landstar owner-operator qualification standards subject to DOT requirements, and Landstar may impose more stringent requirements at its option. The decision whether to qualify an operator will be made by Landstar in its sole discretion and on a case-by-case basis.